Civil Procedure: Jurisdiction, M
CIVIL PROCEDURE II -JURISDICTION
READING AND ASSIGNMENT SCHEDULE WEEK 1 ONLY
Fall 2014 – Prof. Gilles
·Civil Procedure: A Contemporary Approach, Fourth Edition (Interactive Casebook Series) A. Benjamin Spencer ISBN 9780314287847
- You should note that class meets from 8.05 - 9.05 pm on Wednesdays and from 6.00 - 7.40pm on Fridays.
- In addition, there are Student Development Workshops from 9.10pm -10.10 pm on Wednesdays. As I will explain more fully in class, these are optional – however you can earn extra credit for these sessions AND just like the small section sessions in your first year, these are designed to help you develop key legal skills.
- All assignments are to the FOURTH EDITION of the Spencer book. All Handouts and Worksheets will be posted on TWEN ( Gilles Fall 2014 Civ. Pro JD). You should sign up NOW!
- Work through the material in the order listed below– e.g., watch the video to HELP you prepare for the case and then read the assigned case.
Topic 1: Personal Jurisdiction
Class 1: Wednesday, August 27
- workshop: reading and outlining civ pro cases (Let’s prepare for Friday!)
Class 2: Friday, August 29
Key case for Modern PJ
- International Shoe pp. 35-43
Structure of Modern PJ & Ohio Long Arm case
- Complete Worksheet 1
- Long Arm Statutes pp. 44-47
- As instructed in Worksheet 1 - create a basic (one page) check list/outline of the steps in PJ analysis. Bring this check list (and the handout) with you to class.