Financial Aid FAQ - Capital University Law School

Financial Aid FAQ

  • What does it cost to attend Capital University Law School?  

    • Tuition at Capital University Law School is assessed per credit hour basis. The Cost of Attendance tables on our website contain estimated tuition costs for each J.D. program. 

    What financial resources are available to assist with paying for law school? 

    • There are several institutional and federal funding resources available to law students.  Visit our website to review the Types of Financial Aid for which you may qualify.

    What is FAFSA? 

    I probably don't qualify for financial aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?  

    • Yes!  All students should apply, even if they don't think they qualify or don't want to take out loans.  The FAFSA is free.  In addition, many of our endowed scholarships consider "financial need" when awarding funds.  Need can only be determined by the information provided from your FAFSA application. 

    Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?  

    • Yes. Because eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next, you need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each award year in which you are or plan to be a student.  

    What is Capital Law School's code for the FAFSA?  

    • Capital University Federal School Code: 003023. 

    How do I complete an FSA-ID? 

    How do I complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN)? 

    • You can create your master promissory note by going to  The following YouTube video walks you through the steps to completing an FSA-ID.  

    How do I complete online loan entrance counseling? 

    What financial aid does the government offer for military service or for family members of military personnel?  

    • For program details, visit or call 1-888-442-4551.  Students who qualify should submit their Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to the Office of Financial Aid. 

    What is a Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?  

    • Direct PLUS Loans are federal credit-based loans available to graduate/professional students to help pay for educational expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance.  

    When should I expect to receive my financial aid award letter?  

    • Admitted students should expect to receive a financial aid award within 7-10 business days of submitting your FAFSA. 

    Once I receive the award letter, what do I need to do to get my financial aid?  

    What do I do after I have completed a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling?  

    • The Office of Financial Aid will be notified of the completion and will contact you if further action is needed. 

    How much interest does my loan(s) accrue and when does interest on my loan(s) begin?  

    • Loans begin accruing interest as soon as they are disbursed to your account. The interest rates are available on the It is important that you understand how interest is calculated and the fees associated with your loan. Both of these factors will impact the amount you will be required to repay.  

    I plan on participating in the CapLaw Partners program, but I do not see it on my award letter. Does this affect the loan amount that I need to request?   

    • Yes, it will affect your loan totals. Your loans would be reduced by the amount of your employer's tuition reimbursement and Capital's match. This program helps to fund your education while lower your loan indebtedness.  

    I accepted my student loan (s), what if I change my mind?  

    • You may cancel all or portion of your loan by informing us in writing. If the loan has not been disbursed, you may cancel at any time. If the loan has been disbursed and you are holding the funds you can make a payment to your loan servicer or to the Student Accounts office at 103 Yochum Hall on main campus located at One College and Main Columbus, Ohio 43209.  

    I was denied a Graduate PLUS loan. What are my options? 

    • Students who are denied a Graduate PLUS loan can either reapply with an endorser (co-signer) or appeal the decision. Find further information about your options on 

    How do I apply for a scholarship?  

    • The Office of Financial Aid will notify students when applications are available. Merit based scholarship are based primarily on undergraduate academic performance and LSAT score for all applicants admitted to the J.D. Program.  

    If I did not accept all of my loan eligibility can I still have access to those funds later in the semester?  

    • Yes, if you have loan funds available per your award letter you can request funds up until the end of the semester.  

    When will I receive my tuition bill and how can I review my charges?  

    • Approximately 7-10 business days before the beginning of each semester Student Accounts will bill tuition and issue an e-bill. To review your account activity showing all charges, payments, loan disbursals and refunds please refer to our Student Account and Bill audio guided instructions.  

    How do I request a refund?  

    • You can complete a refund request form in the Office of Financial Aid.. Please make sure if you are email a form that it has your hand written signature. 

    Do you offer a tuition payment plan over the academic year?  

    • Yes, you can complete a deferred payment plan form and return to Student Accounts before the starts of each semester. Your form can be faxed to 614-236-6820 or you can call for questions at 614-236-6123. 

    How will my financial aid be affected if I add or drop credit hours?  

    • After the add/drop period is over financial aid will access your hours and make adjustments as needed. Make sure you are checking your WebAdvisor e-bill for any tuition adjustments.   

    If financial aid available for summer classes?  

    • Federal loans are available (in the form of a Graduate PLUS loan) for summer classes. Shortly after you register for summer courses and you have completed your FAFSA you will receive an award letter showing your summer loan eligibility if you are registered for four or more credit hours.  

    Who is my loan servicer?  

    • Your loan servicer will contact you directly after you receive your first Direct loan disbursement. You can also log in to using your FSA ID to view you loan servicer's contact information. 

     What is exit counseling? 

    • Exit counseling provides important information you need to prepare to repay your federal student loan(s). You must complete each time you graduate, leave school, drop below half-time enrollment.  

    How do I complete exit counseling?  

    How much loan debt should I anticipate after I graduate?  

    • You can also view the cost of attendance table on our website to estimate your total loan debt. provides a repayment estimator to calculate your estimated repayment amount based on your estimated loan debt.   

    Where can I get information about Federal student financial aid? 

    How can I stay connected with the Office of Financial Aid? 

    • Review all your Capital emails so you do not miss out on important information. Follow us on twitter @CapLawfinaid