For 35 years John Edward Sullivan was a dedicated teacher and scholar. He joined the Law School faculty in 1953, teaching Criminal Law, Torts and Consumer Law. At the time he received professor emeritus status in 1988, he had taught nearly 90 percent of all living graduates of the Franklin University and Capital University law schools.
He served as acting dean from 1959-60 and as academic dean from 1965-66, when the Law School moved from Franklin’s YMCA location to Capital University in Bexley.
Professor Sullivan was described as energetic, determined and a steady force who greatly impacted the growth of the Law School. Deeply respected by his students, he was selected by the student body as Professor of the Year three times. He took a sabbatical in 1973-74 to serve as Franklin County assistant county prosecutor.
Professor Sullivan remained a beloved and relevant figure in the Law School up to the time of his death on Aug. 31, 2011, at age 89. He also is the namesake of the annual Sullivan Lecture, presented each academic year by a distinguished legal scholar who addresses a matter of significance to the Law School and to the greater legal community.
He also was honored in 2008 with a named professorship, the John E. Sullivan Professor of Law.
Professor Sullivan was a World War II Army veteran. He earned his bachelor’s degree from John Carroll University in 1950 and his law legree from Western Reserve University in 1952.